All content and imagery copyright Charlie's Ink © 2017
Here is my tattoo aftercare guide. If you have any other or queries or concerns, don’t hesitate to drop me a message.
1. Upon completion of your tattoo, your artist will clean and wrap their handiwork in clingfilm. Keep this on for 8 hours and no longer than 12 hours.
2. Make sure to clean your hands before gently removing the clingfilm. Using unscented soap, wash the tattoo with your hand and warm water soapy water. Be gentle yet thorough and do not rub the tattoo.
3. Once washed, let the tattoo air dry. DOn’t use towels or flannels. Once dry apply Bepanthen or Savlon. With Bepanthen apply 3 times a day, cleaning off the old application first. With Savlon apply every couple of hours. For both creams this should be continued for 14-20 days or until the tattoo is completely done peeling.
4. Usually between 4-6 days the tattoo will start to flake off. DO not pick at or scratch , instead let the skin peel naturally. You will notice small pieces of dry skin containing colour coming off while using Bepanthen/Savlon or when washing. This is normal and just the top layer of skin coming off- your tattoo is not disappearing!
- DON’T use fake tan (via lotion, spray) for at least 4 weeks.
- DON’T do any washing up if your tattoo is on your hands/forearms for 3 weeks.
- DON’T go swimming for 3 weeks.
- Keep the tattoo out of harmful/strong sun rays. NEVER use sun beds indefinitely.
- DON’T use vaseline or Sudocrem until tattoo is healed.
- Yes you can shower with a new tattoo, showing is preferred over having a bath as it’s okay to get your tattoo wet, just avoid soaking it. Submerging your tattoo in a bath or hot tub can cause serious damage so try to avoid these until the tattoo is healed.